To Know You - Necklace
the school year activity
to prepare for the
1. Buy the beads (colored, sports, and smiley faces), string (black
stretchy necklace cord), and clasps in the craft
section of your favorite discount store.
2. Before the day of the activity, cut the necklace cord and attach the
clasp to one end.
Make sure you make it the right length
for your students!
3. Make copiesof instructions for each student.
Let them choose their beads using the chart.
They get a cord, arrange the beads in a pattern
choice, and bring it to you to attach the other end of the
HavIng another adult or older
student to help you tie is great!
4. When everyone has a necklace, tell the students to put them on.
Then they flip their papers over and go around
answering the questions by looking at everyone else's
5. Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew, Columbo, CSI agents' skills
for each student
GETTING TO KNOW YOU NECKLACE
The chart below tells you what each color bead means. Read
the chart carefully and choose your beads.
RED – if you are a girl
BLUE – if you are a boy
ORANGE – how many sisters you have
GREEN – how many brothers you have
WHITE – how many pets you have
BLACK – how many different elementary schools you have
YELLOW – if you like reading (0=don’t like, 1=a
little, 2=a lot)
PURPLE – if you like math (0=don’t like, 1=a
little, 2=a lot)
SPORTS - pick 1 bead to show which sport you like the best
SMILEY FACES – if you like third grade (0=don’t
like, 1=a little, 2=a lot)
*Once you have your beads, get your initials and make a cool pattern.
Bring your necklace to the teacher or helpers when you are
finished and we will put the end on it.
Just look at other students’ necklaces to find your answers!
1. Name one person who has the same number of sisters as you:
2. Name one person who has the same number of brothers as
3. Name one person who has more pets than you do:
4. Find two people who have gone to more than one elementary
5. Find one person who likes reading the same as you
6. Find one person who likes math less than you do:
7. How many people in your group like this grade a lot?
8. How many people in your group have pets? ________
9. How many people in your group like reading and math a lot?
10. How many people in your group have only gone to one elementary
11. Write your own question!